Re: OpenOffice 1.1.1 (Testing) loses settings ...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:26:03 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> The spell-checker doesn't work either (I cannot guarantee, though, that it
> worked with 1.1.0).

Eureka !
This needed some hours of digging, though, therefore I put the recipe here
(for steef, as well).
The dictionaries have been moved to
/usr/share/myspell/dicts
(Quite intelligent, I confess)

Since most are unavailable from Debian, you must pick
them up through OpenOffice. Roll up your sleeves.
# /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice (root !) is how you start.
Probably you'll have to set it up very basically.
Don't enter any single thing, just make it go through.
# /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice (root !)
Now OpenOffice opens up

Open the document
DicOOo.sxw
located in
/usr/share/myspell/dicts

This works pretty well; accept it is a macro and you go to your preferred
language (No, there is no documentation for this on www.openoffice.org.
Ooops, there is, but fully outdated. Don't bother.)
The document describes pretty well what to do (I refer to Dutch, at least).
You select the language*s* for which you'd like to add the spellchecker
and click yourself through (I needed 'doorgaan' some 5 times, though.
YMMV. Your language might, as well).
In order to test and use, I selected en-US, nl and Malay. Download and
install proceeded automtically. A great piece of software, this DicOOo.swx !

Once you're done, close down, including all quickstarters.
$ /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice
and the added languages show up. At least here. YMMV, again
Like, in my case, since only Dutch and English(US) can be
selected through Options - Language Settings - Languages

Malay simply isn't on the list of languages in OpenOffice !
It has been installed, though:
$ ls -l /usr/share/myspell/dicts/ms*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Apr 16 13:53 /usr/share/myspell/dicts/ms_MY.aff
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       153774 Apr 16 13:53 /usr/share/myspell/dicts/ms_MY.dic
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        65052 Apr 16 13:53 /usr/share/myspell/dicts/ms_MY.zip

I do wonder if this is a problem of Debian-OpenOffice or a generic one ?

Good luck,

Uwe