Re: Re: Important

Success!  Your email address has been added to our subscription list for the P4 update newsletter.

There is no fixed publication schedule for this newsletter; it will be sent out each time there is new information about P4/P5 cards.

P4 UPDATE

DTV has started turning off its HU card datastream. Some PPV channels are now displaying the message "This access card has expired. Please install your new access card." There is no fix for this and we expect that more and more channels will start displaying this message. However, this is no reason to panic or get excited.

When the H card datastream started being turned off some years ago, DTV was swamped with calls from legitimate customers who had not received (or had lost) their new cards. In response, the H card datastream was restored for another 7 weeks. During this time the price of H cards sky-rocketed. This will probably happen again. So it is likely that the error will disappear soon for another few weeks.

The P4 fix is still not publicly available although - not surprisingly - there are thousands of rumors flying around. Indications are that a number of different organizations have the new fix. This means that there will probably be a war and prices will drop rapidly. In addition, this indicates that a new flash will probably be available fairly quickly to allow users to simply upgrade their existing programmers for use with the P4 cards. So just hang on to your existing programmer and wait for the new flash to become available.

For a brief time in between, though, it may be necessary to buy a programmed P4/P5 card (or send in your own P4/P5 card for programming). Remember, when and if this happens, the fix will last for quite a long time compared to the current HU fixes since the new P4/P5 fix will not be publicly posted and DTV will not easily be able to counter it.

So please stay calm and relaxed. Be assured that we are working on the problem and looking for a solution that will be reasonably priced and easily available to all our customers.

RECOMMENDATIONS

- buy HU cards only if you want to speculate on their price rising dramatically in a few weeks.

- hang on to your programmer, it may soon work with P4 cards.

- buy a P4 and/or P5 card.  The prices have already starting rising but will probably continue to rise for some time.