Re: DRI and tuxracer ok, flightgear and torcs slow

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:16:44 +0200
Gebhardt Thomas <gebhardt@hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> during the easter holidays I upgraded from woody to sarge (and kernel
> 2.4.19 -> 2.4.25). Now my kids complain about slow-motion (< 1 fps)
> within several games.
>
> I have an ATI Rage 128 graphic chip, dri is working. glxgears shows
> about 500 fps which is in the same range as before the upgrade. Tuxracer
> and SearchAndRescue are working fine but flightgear and torcs show a
> slow-motion effect. I checked out that sdl-libs are installed (there are
>
> however so many sdl related packages in debian that I might have missed
> something)
>
> Any idea about what might have gone wrong?

I dunno, but I've been wondering too.  Ever since I upgraded from
X 4.2 to 4.3, my OpenGL performance has gone into the toilet.  I
used to be able to play bzflag normally; since I upgraded to 4.3,
I've had to lower many graphics parameter preferences for bzflag
for it to be useable at all.  I would file a bug if I had any
clue what package to file it against; and I haven't had the time
to do the investigating to find out which.

-c

P.S.  I have a Matrox G550; so if we're experiencing the same
problem (and it does sound the same), it's more likely to be in
the GL libraries or general DRI modules than in video card drivers.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)