Using a Proxy (Squid) will slow down download speed?

I'm running Squid with its basic setup. When IE's proxy connection
setting is configured to use squid, the download speed will decrease
by about 10KB/s. Unchecking the 'use proxy' setting will resolve the
slower download speed issue.

1) Is there any setting in IE or Squid that I can use to fine tune the
download speed of clients?

2) What do I look out in access.log to check if cached pages are been
successfully served? (Squid automatically cache pages right?)

3) I have 2 PCs, A and B. A downloads a file. After A's download is
completed, B downloads the same file. Will this same file downloaded
by B be retrieved from Squid (intranet speed) or from the internet?

Thanks !
----