Cleanly applying 3rd party patches to a make-kpkg kernel build

Greetings!

I've been doing regular sarge kernel builds (w/ debian kernel-source that already has debian patches applied) with 'make-kpkg', in which I need to apply some additional 3rd party patches. My goal is to be able to have instructions others can follow for creating a custom kernel which requires only the use of standard debian commands without having to place the patch files anywhere but in your home directory and not contaminate a pristine debian installation with messy customizations.

I combed the 'make-kpkg' man pages, and looked at the scripts (and a makefile if I recall correctly) which make this great tool work. I was unable to find an option that would allow me to apply 3rd party patches. I fact, it seems to only want to grab patches from under /usr/src/kernel-patches/ and they must be in 'apply/' and 'unpatch/' directories using the style outlined in the documentation. If I understand correctly this is where various official debian kernel patch install themselves.

Did I miss an option that would let 'make-kpkg' apply arbitrary patch(es) via 'patch' and some user supplied options and unpatch with 'patch -R' and some user supplied options?

My solution to date is to add executable scripts into /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/x.x.x/{apply|unpatch} that would handle these custom patches when 'make-kpkg' was building. But I'm not particular fond of that approach, as I'm dirtying up directories "owned" by other installed packages.

If however this is the only intended mechanism for applying custom patches via 'make-kpkg', I'm cool with taking the time to learn how to create custom .deb packages for these patches so they install themselves in the proper location and can be just as easily removed.

Any words of wisdom?

Ryan Gustafson

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp