Re: Debian XFree86 "-nolisten tcp"

ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
I run a cluster of machines w/ only one display; I need to run lots of remote X apps. For performance, I think I need the X server listening on a TCP port - but Debian makes a big deal about the security implications. Have I any options besides A) using SSH, B) removing the "-nolisten tcp" option, (or C) avoiding remote X apps)?

Must I actually remove "-nolisten tcp" from "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc" and "/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers", or is there a "/etc/default" or dpkg switch I missed somewhere?

# - SECURITY NOTE: Always pass the "-nolisten tcp" option to the X
#   server, as shown in the examples below, unless you know you
#   need the X server listening on a TCP port.  Omitting this
#   option can expose your X server to attacks from remote hosts.
#   Note also that SSH's X11 port-forwarding option works even with
#   X servers that do not listen on a TCP port, so you do not need
#   to remove the "-nolisten tcp" option for SSH's benefit.

Thanks!

Jack

VNC.  Works well, and shouldn't chew up too much bandwidth on a local
connection.

-Roberto Sanchez