Re: Re: Linux/Windows Universal Benchmark

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:23:48PM +0100, Andy Morris wrote:
> Now one thing I should have mentioned earlier is that the app was
> written in Java (compiled using Sun's jdk1.4.2 (not gentoo's blackdown
> since it's too buggy)) and we are therefore also testing the platform
> implementation of the VM (if you don't know about java basically when
> code runs there is a middleman between the code running and the OS
> (the Java Virtual Machine).  It is possible that the jdk does not work
> as well on Linux but this is what I use and so do millions of others,
> and therefore it's can be a v good benchmark.  I will shortly if i get
> some time repeat the tests in C++ to remove this factor (it interfaces
> directly with the OS since it's compiled into native binaries) and if
> any1 does care for the result then let me know.

I think it's very likely that at least some of the Java implementations
available for Linux suck performance-wise compared to Windows. Java's
quite a poor development platform on Linux; it doesn't help that the Sun
JDK is non-free so people generally can't hack on it, and the free JVMs
have only started to receive attention relatively recently.

I'm afraid I wouldn't regard a Java benchmark as a remotely fair
assessment of any difference between Linux and XP in themselves, whether
or not millions of people use it. I also don't think that counting is a
very interesting benchmark really. :)