Re: Linux/Windows Universal Benchmark

Andy Morris wrote:

So XP and Gentoo Linux on the same box, and xp still beats it hands down (it only improved by around 30 secs), which really dissapointed me. It makes me want to use my xp box for more stuff than previously, which i had been trying not since i like using kde over the Windows desktop Now one thing I should have mentioned earlier is that the app was written in Java (compiled using Sun's jdk1.4.2 (not gentoo's blackdown since it's too buggy)) and we are therefore also testing the platform implementation of the VM (if you don't know about java basically when code runs there is a middleman between the code running and the OS (the Java Virtual Machine). It is possible that the jdk does not work as well on Linux but this is what I use and so do millions of others, and therefore it's can be a v good benchmark. I will shortly if i get some time repeat the tests in C++ to remove this factor (it interfaces directly with the OS since it's compiled into native binaries) and if any1 does care for the result then let me know.

I for one am definitely interested in hearing the results.

I suspect that different type functions will result in different results however. For example, something involving network access might be just the reverse.

If your test app is not GUI-dependent, what happens if you shut down X and all the extraneous daemons, etc, and then run the program on Linux? In other words, there may be more processes on the Linux box that prevent your app from having as big a slice of processor time as it has on the Windows box. (I'm just wondering here, not trying to defend Linux.)

--
Kent