Re: need RAID driver for install, but no floppy drive

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 13:20, you wrote:
> On 04/13/2004 06:36 PM, Justin Guerin wrote:
> >On Tuesday 13 April 2004 14:32, Matt Morgan wrote:
> >>I'm trying to install Debian (3.0 r2) on a Penguin Computing Relion
> >> 140. It has an LSI MegaRAID disk controller; the driver is not present
> >> on CD1 of the install CD's, so the install can't find any hard disks
> >> to install on. Interestingly, the driver is present on the floppy
> >> install set I downloaded, and of course you can download it.
> >>
> >>[snip]
> >
> >Hi Matt,
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >I don't think the .c and .h files will do you any good.  You need the
> >compiled version of the module, the .o file.  Copy it to your custom
> >CD-ROM.  If it's not already compiled, remember that you'll need to
> > compile the module against the kernel you want to use when you load it,
> > which in this case will be the install kernel.  But if you got this off
> > a floppy set, the .o should already exist, compiled for the correct
> > kernel.
> >
> >[snip]
>
> Justin, thanks for the excellent reply. Now I'm having trouble finding
> the driver on the floppies; I can mount the Rescue (Boot) floppy, but
> the other ones are an unknown file type ("mount: I could not determine
> the filesystem type, and none was specified") and I can't find the
> driver on the rescue floppy. How do I mount those Debian install
> floppies to get files off of them?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

I couldn't mount a sample driver floppy I created, either.  My download
could be corrupt, or I could have had a bogus option, but the error was
that FAT has a bogus table entry or something along those lines.  So I'm
thinking the file format is fat and my download was bad, but I don't know.

The good news is, you can download the driver archive.  See section
11.2.3.3.2 on this page:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-appendix.en.html#s-driver-images

>From there, you can extract the archive to a hard drive and search for the
module there.  Then, copy it to your CD in a /boot directory on the disk.
Then, it should work when you try to load a driver off the floppy using the
installer, but if the installer doesn't detect any modules on the disk, you
may have to mount it manually.  If that's not the problem, make sure the .o
file is in /boot, with respect to the disk, so that after it's mounted, the
path is /floppy/boot/<module>.o (I think the installer uses /floppy as its
mount point, but if it doesn't, change accordingly).  Then try again, or
load the module manually.

I hope that helps.

Justin Guerin