Re: branding debian releases

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:59:49 -0600
"Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

> My understanding of the 'testing' distribution is in conflict with your
> description.  Testing is the last to receive security updates, and I
> believe it is more prone to wide-ranging package bugs than is unstable.
> I see it more as a developer sandbox than a live distribution.
>
> Am I wrong?

No, you're quite correct; and it's a point that's missing from most
of this discussion.  Testing is a box into which the components of
the next release are being collected; at any given time, some of the
components -- even ones which will be vital to the release -- may
not be present at all, or may not be useful because of problems
(security bugs) where the fixed component is still being tested
(is still in unstable and hasn't made it down to testing yet).
This is less true as we get close to release; but in the middle
of the release cycle, it's quite common.  All one has to do is
search the archives of this list to find many many posts asking
why GNOME in testing doesn't work right, why KDE in testing is
completely unusable at all, etc.; followed by the usual explanations
of what testing is.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)