Re: branding debian releases

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:19:39 +0300
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

>> 	sarge -- alternatives to "TESTING":
>
> 	- desktop
> 	- user
> 	- mostly stable
> 	- freezing

Some of these would actually be dangerous, as they communicate something
about testing which is *not true*.  The descriptors you chose for each of
the three distributions give the impression that the stability (in the
bugginess sense, not in the "unchanging-with-time" sense) and usability
of the three form a spectrum with sid the worst, stable the best, and
testing in-between.  That's wrong.  It may be correct, or close to
correct, right now, when the main thing holding up the release is the
installer.  But it's not the general case -- sometimes, testing can be
more broken than sid (because of packages missing from testing that are
present in sid, security updates that haven't made it to testing that
are present in sid, etc.).  Running testing takes work; and if you don't
have to deal with things like a broken glibc or something like that, you
*do* have to deal with things like a nonfunctioning GNOME or KDE, or a
security update to perl that's four weeks behind sid, etc.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)