Pam

Hi,

I was looking through the Securing Debain tutorial, and thought I'd
implement some of the PAM recommendations.

So, I install libpam-cracklib and make some changes in /etc/pam.d/

for login,ssh and passwd

I comment out
 password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

and include
 password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3
 password required       pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5

When I try to change my password I get the error :

passwd: Critical error - immediate abort

I undo the changes /etc/pam.d/passwd and I can change my password again.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Matt
Children's Cancer Institute Australia