Re: Adding Xfce4 to the GDM sessions menu

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 04:49:04PM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On Saturday 10 April 2004 18:30, Bob Schlärmann wrote:
> > GDM recently switched to a new session file format based on .desktop
> > files.

There's a bug tracking this as well 241080.

It'll be fixed in the next upload.  (well if I ever get gdm to work
given #237615).

Upstream have been promising 4.0.5 since 21st March but it hasn't
happened yet and I was waiting for that before fixing the other bits up.

> While sorting this problem out, I noticed that /etc/gdm/Sessions/Xfce4
> contains the following:

> #!/bin/sh
> exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xfce4-session

> What's the practical difference between running
> /usr/bin/xfce4-session
> and
> exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xfce4-session
> ?

It'll run all the bits in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ first too so for instance
it'll run ssh-agent if you have use-ssh-agent in /etc/X11/Xsession.options

Basically it means it should fit in better with what everything else
does (startx, other session managers).

Simon.

--
        Black Cat Networks        -(  "Fast, fat computers breed slow,   )-
UK domain, email and web hosting  -(         lazy programmers."          )-