Re: Adding Xfce4 to the GDM sessions menu

Adam Funk wrote:
On Saturday 10 April 2004 18:30, Bob Schlärmann wrote:

GDM recently switched to a new session file format based on .desktop
files. Look in /usr/share/xsessions for some example .desktop files,
i've got the following in xfce.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xfce4
Comment=Xfce4
Exec=/usr/bin/xfce4-session
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

While sorting this problem out, I noticed that /etc/gdm/Sessions/Xfce4
contains the following:

#!/bin/sh
exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xfce4-session
What's the practical difference between running
/usr/bin/xfce4-session
and
exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xfce4-session
?

Also, for the more complicated scripts (e.g., /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome),
should I just use
Exec=/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
in gnome.desktop?

I think that new version of gdm don't look at these scripts anymore but just the .desktop file. BTW for Gnome Exec should /usr/bin/gnome-session

Jaap