Re: Error about apm reported when switching from X to tty and back

Hello Christian,

Christian Riedel> Hi,

> FATAL: error inserting apm
> (/lib/modules/2.6.4-1-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such device

> The weird thing is, that I don't use apm. ACPI is detected at boot time
> and used. If I try to manually load the apm module I get the same error
> (due to acpi being active).

> Can it be that the problem is connected to gdm? If gdm starts at boot
> time I here a beep and this is the first time the error message appears
> on tty1. But I have not found any mentioning of apm neither in
> /etc/X11/gdm.gdm.conf nor in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

> How can I get rid of this error? System is an up-to-date sid. Kernel
> 2.6.4-1-k7
I met this error message a few days ago when I updated my kernel to
version 2.6.4 and replaced the APM with ACPI. Because I didn't have
enough time to learn how to make ACPI running as expected, I installed
the "sleepd" program on my Debian Sid. Then the "FATAL: error inserting
apm" came out.

After I grepped in the "/var/log/syslog" I found this error message was
generated by "sleepd", so I removed it from my Debian box and the error
message dispeared. :)

Because the "sleepd" claims it support APM and ACPI both, I installed
it after the first glance. But it seems works under APM by default(I
am not sure, maybe I should RTFM :), so it complains if there is no APM
moudle loaded.

You should check the /var/log/syslog to make sure which problem caused
this error message. Then you will found how to get rid of this error
message.:-)

Hope my experenice is kinda helpful to you. :)
--
Best Regards,          <*,*> > > > >
Wu Zhaojun             [`-'] ] ] ] ]