autofs not reading nis maps

hey i'm in the process of migrating some redhat computers to debian
testing. disclaimer: i'm rather new to debian, though i've been using
gnu/linux for years. i'm testing things out with one of our workstations. i
currently have a redhat machine running nis, nfs, dhcpd, etc. the
redhat/nis server is pushing maps for:

- passwd
- group
- shadow
- auto.master
- auto.home
- networks
- protocols

i can login to the computer (ssh and su) using the passwd and shadow maps
being pushed by our nis server. however, when i try to use the autofs maps,
autofs doesn't seem to be respecting the nis maps. now i've made some
changes in the nsswitch.conf file to get this to work. my nisswitch file
looks like:

<file name=/etc/nsswitch.conf>
passwd:         compat nis
group:          compat nis
shadow:         compat nis
automount:      compat nis
hosts:          nis files dns
networks:       files
protocols:      nis db files
services:       nis db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files
</file>

now when i restart autofs and check the status (/etc/init.d/autofs status),
i get no configured mount points. can someone point out what i'm doing
wrong.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E