Re: cdrom, kernel 2.6 and ripping audio cd's

Nick Lidakis (<nlidakis@verizon.net>) wrote:

> Under kernel 2.4, I was using scsi emulation for the dvd-rom and cd
> burner and USB mass storage on my sid . Scsi emulation worked fine as
> a normal user.
>
> I'm a member of the following groups:
>
> nick@marvin:~$ groups
> nick cdrom audio src video
>
> [...]
>
> I am able to mount data cd's as a normal user via mount /cdrom or
> mount /cdr. I read that buring cd's via SCSI emulation was no longer
> being supported in kernels 2.6; that this could be accomplished using
> the newer kernel's IDE ATAPI support.
>
> Can anyone tell me why I can't rip CD's as a normal user suing kernel
> 2.6.

If the application supports ripping from a device without IDE-SCSI
emulation, you should only have to take care that you have permission
to access the device. Change ownership of the cd/dvd drive device files
from root.disk to root.cdrom. Do not add yourself to the disk group.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976