cdrom, kernel 2.6 and ripping audio cd's

Under kernel 2.4, I was using scsi emulation for the dvd-rom and cd burner and USB mass storage on my sid . Scsi emulation worked fine as a normal user.

I'm a member of the following groups:

nick@marvin:~$ groups
nick cdrom audio src video

After switching over to kernel 2.6.4 with ATAPI CDROM support enabled, and SCSI CDROM disabled, I am no longer able to rip audio CD's via ripperx as a normal user. SCSI generic support is enabled for use with my USB flash media key. Ripperx works fine if I'm root in either drive.

fstab is as follows:

#
/dev/hda1       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/hdd /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/hdc /cdr iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda5 /var ext3 rw                  0       2
/dev/hda6 /tmp ext3 rw                  0       2
/dev/hda7 /usr ext3 rw                  0       2
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 rw                 0       2
/proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs                defaults    0   0
/dev/sda        /usbkey         vfat    defaults,rw,user,noauto
/dev/sda1       /muvo           vfat    defaults,rw,user,noauto

I am able to mount data cd's as a normal user via mount /cdrom or mount /cdr. I read that buring cd's via SCSI emulation was no longer being supported in kernels 2.6; that this could be accomplished using the newer kernel's IDE ATAPI support.

Can anyone tell me why I can't rip CD's as a normal user suing kernel 2.6.