Re: AMD vs. Intel

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:44:48PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I am a huge fan of AMD, not only because their processors are
> cheaper.
>
> Recently, however, I have experienced random crashes on two machines
> that run AMDs. The crashes seem to be related to IO and happen
> usually when there is a lot of disk activity. The disks themselves
> are fine, though, and also the controller appears without problems.
>
> Thus I am logically considering chipset and processor. I can hardly
> imagine that this is a problem with AMD, but I would like to know
> from you success and failure stories of AMD processors and Linux.

I run mostly AMD systems here.  Currently have systems ranging from an
older K6 233Mhz up through K7 XP2400+ several are subjected to near
constant disk activity (one is in use as a PVR).  Recently had a lockup
of my K6 300Mhz, but that appears to be related to repeated lost
interrupts to the main IDE drive (monitoring it now).  Other than that
recent lockup, I can't say I've had any problems with my AMD systems.

--
Jamin W. Collins