Re: apt-get in a webbrowser

> On Wednesday 07 April 2004 11:29 am, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> -----------------STUFF SNIPPED-----------------------------------
>> However it's not exactly what I was thinking of. Webmin-software doesn't
>> really bring something new to tools like synaptic or aptitude etc. OK
>> it's running in a browser and you can access it from a remote PC
>>
>> What I was referring to that you have something Click N Run of Lindows.
>> So the user browses packages.debian.org and then clicks on a link on
>> that page and then the package get installed. This is really non-tech
>> savy friendly.
>>
>> You could take it even further that you make something like
>> my.debian.org where you register your PC and where you can see if there
>> are upgrades etc. If your system crashes you can just go there and get
>> every package you had installed installed again. etc. etc.
>>
>> You could even save your settings there. So getting a new PC up and
>> running will be a breeze.
>>

>> Jaap
> ----------------------------------REPLY---------------------------------
> You can do this all now if you are using KDE3.XX with KPackage.
> In fact if you also use apt-listbugs you can tiptoe around Sarge with a
> fair
> amount of imunity to bugs, you only need to be sure that the package has
> not
> been recently updated on the site. It will only advise of bugs if a bug
> report has been filed :-)
> --
> John Foster

KPackage is just a frontend like synaptic for gnome. I think doing
everything webbased could be even better for the consumer. It would be an
experience like buying a book at amazon. Users can add reviews, ratings,
screenshots links to other sites etc. etc. And then if you like it you
click on the install button and it gets installed.

Jaap