Re: apt-get in a webbrowser

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 11:29 am, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
-----------------STUFF SNIPPED-----------------------------------
> However it's not exactly what I was thinking of. Webmin-software doesn't
> really bring something new to tools like synaptic or aptitude etc. OK
> it's running in a browser and you can access it from a remote PC
>
> What I was referring to that you have something Click N Run of Lindows.
> So the user browses packages.debian.org and then clicks on a link on
> that page and then the package get installed. This is really non-tech
> savy friendly.
>
> You could take it even further that you make something like
> my.debian.org where you register your PC and where you can see if there
> are upgrades etc. If your system crashes you can just go there and get
> every package you had installed installed again. etc. etc.
>
> You could even save your settings there. So getting a new PC up and
> running will be a breeze.
>

> Jaap
You can do this all now if you are using KDE3.XX with KPackage.
In fact if you also use apt-listbugs you can tiptoe around Sarge with a fair
amount of imunity to bugs, you only need to be sure that the package has not
been recently updated on the site. It will only advise of bugs if a bug
report has been filed :-)
--
John Foster