Re: Problems with latest Apache2 update

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 01:57 am, Vineet Kumar wrote:
-------------------------------STUFF SNIPPED-----------------------------
> Is there any way your system would know that its name should
> be qualified with advance-computing.com?  You may want to
> check /etc/resolv.conf for a line like
>
> domain advance-computing.com
>
> or
>
> search advance-computing.com
>
> With that, your system will get 216.87.145.170 when
> attempting to resolve "brutus".  Then it will get
> "brutus.advance-computing.com" when looking up
> 216.87.145.170, so that will be your system's FQDN.
>
> Another option which will have a similar effect is to not
> touch resolv.conf but change that /etc/hosts line to
>
> 216.87.145.170	brutus.advance-computing.com brutus
>
> This will still allow your system to figure out the right
> FQDN.  Editing resolv.conf has the advantage of allowing you
> to refer to other hosts in your domain by their short names,
> though.
>
> good times,
> Vineet
-----------------------------REPLY-------------------
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have been off the list for a while. However
I figured out the answer by myself. But you are exactly correct so your reply
might help someone else. What is really interesting is that this was a test
install using the new netinst images for sarge and I found that this install
really only sets up a desktop for a single user system. It skips all of the
"server" stuff in depreciation of speed & simplicity. That is not mentioned
in the setup menu or docs. I have since sent this comment to the developers.
Thanks Vineet!
--
John Foster