Re: upgrade broken (Testing) for 10 days - libxrender

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:56:16PM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
| On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:30:17 +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
|
| > a apt-get dist-upgrade is usually recommended since it also
| > installs/removes packages when the distribution changes. Try that first,
| > see if the problem remains.
|
| # apt-get dist-upgrade
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|   libxaw7-dev: Depends: x-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libxmu-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libxt-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libsm-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libice-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libxext-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libx11-dev but it is not installed
|                Depends: libxpm-dev but it is not installed
|   libxrender-dev: Depends: libxrender1 (= 0.8.3-5) but 0.8.3-7 is installed
| E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
|
| Back at square one. Am I really the only user with this trouble ??

Possibly.

| What went wrong;

You didn't upgrade the two (relevant) packages at the same time.

The X packages were reorganized recently.  As a result, apparently,
the file Xrender.h moved from the old xlibs-dev package (which I think
went away) to the new libxrender-dev package.  As a result you can't
have both of those installed simultaneously - dpkg only allows a file
to come from one package, not two.

My suggestions are as follows :
    1)  Don't run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically.  It is better to
        run it explicitly while you are watching so that you can see
        what is happening (or would happen) to your system.

    2)  Use aptitude instead of apt-get.  It provides more information
        in a way that is easier to understand.

    3)  Upgrade all the X packages together.  By doing so, you will
        avoid any conflicts, like the one above, that occur when you
        try to keep an old version of one package and a new version of
        another and those two versions aren't compatible.

        (when I upgraded the X stuff something like a week ago,
        aptitude showed me what I needed to upgrade together to avoid
        broken packages and it simply worked)

HTH,
-D

--