Re: AMD vs. Intel

Antony Gelberg wrote:

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:17:08PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
There are current known issues with nForce2/AMD combo.  It
has to do with a race condition during the C1 disconnect.
The solution is to disable APIC, either in the kernel config
or by passing apic=off (or noapic, I can't remember) on the
kernel command line.  Ever since finding out that little gem
(and swithcing to 2.6 kernel) my machine has been rock solid
stable.  I can throw anything at it, and not a single lock up.

Just to throw some weight behind this, this solution has worked for me
on several Athlon / nForce servers I've built.  I just removed APIC from
the kernel completely.

O.K.
Just to clarify, as the system I'm building is dual processor,
does this affect the kernels' ability to employ standard PIC.
Is this even available as an option, and if so, does it have the same effect?
Regards,

David.