Re: I blew it bigtime!

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 12:42 am, Kent West wrote:
> Mike Chandler wrote:
> >  Thanks, Kent. I cannot install any kernel at this point, I have tried
> >  the old one (first) and then actually downloaded and attempted two
> >  others, everything comes to a halt with that error:
> >  /usr/sbin/mkinitrd : /dev/fd does not exist, mkinitrd failed. I am
> >  using grub, it was installed as default. Tried installing lilo and
> >  install failed, can't remember the error at this point.
> >
> >  So I go lokk at /boot and find 2 initrd.img, one for each of the
> >  kernels, and both of those initrd.img are EMPTY documents. Somehow,
> >  what was a working initrd.img has been stripped to nothing. Should I
> >  just re-install? I am beginning to lean that way... Thanks
>
> I suspect people are wishing you'd stop top-posting :-)
>
> I went back and looked at this thread; Nicholas Pattison is credited
> with claiming to have used this command:
>
>     fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>
> but I suspect that's actually you talking, and you've let the
> quote/attributions get fouled (tsk tsk tsk).
>
> So I'm assuming you've got a valid build command. Also, according to
> what you've written above, the problem appears to be related to mkinitrd
> failing to find /dev/fd, which should be a symlink to /proc/self/fd.
> Does the symlink or the actual file exist? I suspect neither exists, and
> that the system is creating the symlink on the fly as the proc file is
> created on the fly.
>
> If my suspicion is correct, that means that the proc file is not being
> created dynamically.
>
> You'll find similar problems at
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200402/msg00666.html
> which indicates that maybe there's a bug somewhere in the system.
>
>  From Daniel's post here:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200402/msg00669.html
> I think I'd try:
>   cd /dev
>   ./MAKEDEV fd
> and then try running your mkinitrd command.
>
> If that doesn't work, I think I'd try copying the 2.2 kernel on a Woody
> installation CD (IIRC, that kernel does not use initrd) and booting off
> that kernel, at which point you can then try to repair the damage.
>

> --
> Kent

> > > Boot into your system with Knoppix/chroot, like you've done. Then
> > > instead of trying to get your new kernel to work, use your old one.
> > >

> > > rm /vmlinuz ln -s /boot/[old_kernel] /vmlinuz edit /etc/lilo.conf
> > > if necessary, but probably not /sbin/lilo reboot fix your new
> > > kernel
> > >
> > > -- Kent

Hi again Kent,
I think you are correct, (especially in me top-posting, which I never even
realized I was doing, I hit "reply" on kmail and where the curser landed, I
just started typing...)
I apologize for that.
At any rate, I have googled this to death, and haven't come up with an actual
answer, though I did run across those posts you point out.
Yes that was me who used (successfully) that command:
 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
I built a working kernel (which booted and everything) using that, so I know
it's a good command.
I did try MAKEDEV fd, and I got an error relaed to the proc file.
Sounds like you about got it nailed.
 I believe at this point I will probably just reinstall, and maybe stay away
from unstable for a while; it seems if I upgrade enough, I always wreck a
good system within a few weeks anyway, I don't know how to avoid it.
I appreciate your help, and I will try (retry if needed) all of your
suggestions.
Thanks again.