Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:
> > These names are[3] those chosen by the respective countries -- _that_ is
> > something I thing ought to be respected (so if Taiwan were to suddenly
> > start calling itself [in English] `Province of China Taiwan', well then
> > the argument is over I guess :-).
>
> Well, but we even don't name other countries like they call themself -
> but rather they are normally called within that country. (Well, at
> least I hope that we don't have "Federal Republic of Germany" in the
> installer list ;)

I suppose it's more accurate to say that the names used for most
countries are those that are at least _acceptable_ by the country's
people.

[Actually given the comma-prefix notation, it would be quite reasonable
to use "Germany, Federal Republic of" -- indeed it fits well -- but I'd
guess most germans probably don't care a great deal one way or another.]

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!