Re: apache2 <perl> sections: "*:80 has no VirtualHosts" error

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 05:19:46PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
[...]
| 	NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
|
| we'd love to know why. pointers are very welcome!

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

Not very long ago I went to add a virtual host to my apache 2
configuration and I ran into some similar errors.  After finally
reading the manual (link above) I understood how virtual hosts work
and was able to correctly configure my site.

In short, the following is an example that will produce the error
message quoted above :
    NameVirtualHosts    *:80
    <VirtualHost foo:80>
    </VirtualHost>

In other words, if you have 'NameVirtualHosts BLAH' and you do not
have a '<VirtualHost BLAH>' directive, you get that error.

The final setup I have, which works, looks like this :

    NameVirtualHosts    *:80

    <VirtualHost _default_:80>
        SiteName    foo
    </VirtualHost>

    <VirtualHost _default_:80>
        SiteName    bar
    </VirtualHost>

The two sites it serves are 'foo' and 'bar' (where foo and bar are
real fully-qualified DNS names).  Both sites are served on all/any
interfaces on the machine.  Which site is served to the client depends
on the 'Host:' header the client provides in the request.

I can't quite figure out the configuration you posted, because it (the
perl code) looks really different from regular apache.  However, I
hope the above overview points you in the right direction to solve
your problem.

-D

--
For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build