Re: Warning: Do not use gcc-3.3.3-5 in testing

MrVanes wrote:
Hi,

I recently apt-get updated my debian-testing machine and received g[cc
++]-3.3.3-5. After this for some reason I (re)compiled Qt 3.3.1 and got
stuck with a broken KDE i.e. I could no longer start KDE through KDM.
Starting KDE from xdm, or from a bare xsession was possible, but fonts were
mangled.
It turned out that qtconfig crashed with a segmentation fault when I tried
to reconfigure my fonts and so did the fonts part of kcontrol.

After long searching, recompiling Qt, KDE, reverting to Qt 3.3.0 etc. etc.
it dawned to me that the more I recompiled things, the more got broken...
Hence my guess it could be my compiler (valgrind-ing qtconfig told me the
error was in the fresh compiled libqt-mt.so.3 library and nowhere else).
Upgrading g[cc|++]-3.3.3-5 to 3.3.3-6 (from unstable) and recompiling Qt
3.3.1 and KDE-libs + base solved all my problems.

DO NOT USE g[cc|++]-3.3.3-5!!!

Hope these 2 cents can save some people from ugly broken systems!

Grtz. Martin

Could be true: I am getting segfaults in the QString destructor of Qt-3.3.1.

Hugo