Exim oddity

I know this might be more appropriate in exim-user, but I'm not
subscribed there and I know there are some exim experts here, so here
goes.

System's Sarge, exim4, mutt - dialup

Last night, I tried to reply to a msg on another mailing list.  I was
offline, and, to my surprised, it was immediately returned with host
lookup failure.  I made a couple of other attempts to resend it - same
result.

I renamed exim4.conf to something else and substituted an older one.
After exim4 restart, still no go.

The day before, I'd purged some old packages that had been removed but
still had configs.  I'd caught a couple that had some configs with same
names as current packages, so moved these out of the way, and replaced
them after the purge, but wondered if I'd accidentally removed something
that exim4 used.  I did dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.  Still no go.

I then tried replying to some mails in my personal mailbox as well as
some msgs on debian-user.  These all queued (I then removed them).
Tried the "contrary" ML again - bounced!

In all these trials, I'd also done a few more exim4 restarts.

Finally, I went online and sent the message - it went OK, of course.

Then, out of curiosity, I tried another message to that ML offline and
VOILA!  It queued!

So..  does _anyone_ have any idea what was happening?  I'm curious!  It
seems that _something_ was causing exim to want to do immediate delivery
for that one ML and didn't want to queue it, but would queue others.
But what could it be?  Exim does its own sendmail.  AFAIK, no other
process is involved with an Exim send, is there?  How could such a
"misunderstanding" on Exim's part survive 3 or 4 restarts and suddenly
clear up after one successful send?  I'm puzzled!