Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

At 2004-04-05T15:12:28Z, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> "Taiwan, Republic of China" is as much a political statement as is
> "Taiwan, Province of China".  "Taiwan" is just a place name.

...and a political statement that you don't recognize China's claim.

Again, I have no stance on the issue, so I am not disagreeing with your
beliefs in this matter.  However, your opinion is just as political as the
opposing view.

> I note that you refer to the place as simply "Taiwan".  Why shouldn't
> Debian do likewise?

I am not an authority on the matter, and my naming of an entity isn't a good
enough reason to declare it a fact.  I typically refer to the name of my
country as "America", but that's not its official name.

Frankly, I don't think that it's Debian's place to take the political stance
that it disagrees with the name that one particular standards organization
has given a geographical reason, particularly since it does accept the other
assigned names from that list.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.