Re: Disk speed on different partitions (was: Re: ext2/ext3/vfat on laptop vs. desktop)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Stefan Goessling-Reisemann wrote:
>
> > Question1 : could this be related to the position of the partition on the
> > disk?
>
> yup
>
> > How could I verify this?
>
> wite a block of data to certain cylinders.... starting from cylinder-0
> to cylinder 10,000 ... ( be aware of the zone boundries of ZBR )
> 	- thruput should be the same within the zone

I wouldn't want to write to random cylinders, because I still nee dthe
data on the disk ;-) Can I read directly from specified
cylinders/positions on the disk? Is there a tool for testing the
throughput from different positions on the disk?

> > Is the hda2 partition always directly
> > adjacent to the hda1 partition?
>
> no .. partitions can start and end anywhere, as long as it doesnt overlap

OK, I checked the positions: hda1 (Windows, vfat) is at the beginning of
the disk and measures around 28 GB. Then there comes the swap partition
hda4 (1 GB) and then actual Linux partition hda2 (ext2, around 9.5 GB).
After that there is some free space (around 480 MB) and another small (~8
MB) Win partition, hda3, setup by the service department of the laptop
manufacturer.

Question: would it make sense to move the Linux partition in front of the
swap partition? It would only shift it by around 1 GB. I doubt that it
would somehow increase throuput, would it?

If so: how can I most securely move whole partitions? I suppose this would
involve backing up images, re-partitioning, and restoring the images,
right?

Thanks and best regards
Stefan