Re: Disk speed on different partitions (was: Re: ext2/ext3/vfat on laptop vs. desktop)

hi ya stefan

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Stefan Goessling-Reisemann wrote:

> Question1 : could this be related to the position of the partition on the
> disk?

yup

> How could I verify this?

wite a block of data to certain cylinders.... starting from cylinder-0
to cylinder 10,000 ... ( be aware of the zone boundries of ZBR )
	- thruput should be the same within the zone

> Is the hda2 partition always directly
> adjacent to the hda1 partition?

no .. partitions can start and end anywhere, as long as it doesnt overlap

> Question2 : Why does this not happen on my Desktop?

laptop drives are smaller diameter than regular ide disks on your desktop

c ya
alvin