Re: Compiling kernel

High,

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I've been looking at the documentation for compiling the kernel, and something
> seems missing to me.
>
> There is ample documentation on configuring the kernel, but I don't see the
> issue of the starting point addressed anywhere. It seems to be assumed that
> if you're going to compile the kernel, then you want to individually visit
> every configuration parameter and make a selection. There is good
> documentation everywhere on how to do this.
>
>  If you have a working kernel, however, it seems far more logical to use its
> configuration as a starting point and make the changes relative to that. In
> SuSE, there are good instructions on getting this starting point, but I don't
> see anything like that in Debian. I *DO* see a config file in the /boot
> directory, but it is ambiguous (at best) as to whether this is the
> configuration for the running kernel.
>
> Being fair, when something is so pointedly not addressed, it usually means I
> should have known the answer without asking - but I'll admit to ignorance.
> Would someone be so kind as to point me at the place for the current config
> (probably the one in /boot, but this isn't something I want to take a chance
> on) for a starting point?

In /boot there is a file named config-.... with .... being your running
kernel. Unpack the kernel source in /usr/src/linux and copy
/boot/config-... to /usr/src/linux/.config

Then run 'make oldconfig', which will only ask to configure new options to
that kernel. After that you can run make menuconfig or xconfig in order to
change the settings.

Then it's a simple make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install , copy thekernel from arch/.../boot/bzImage to /boot and
adapt your bootloader to this kernel.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)