Re: Java and Mozilla Firebird Help

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 at 12:19pm, Kenneth Jacker wrote:

:  dpj> Java seems to be a major pain in Linux - it's all rather hit or
:  dpj> miss to get it to work.
:
:I have had *no* problems w/ Java and its plugin until I upgraded to
:j2sdk1.4.2_04.  I still can't get the plugin to work with 'firebird'.

I _was_ having a very difficult time getting j2re1.4.2_04 to work with
fireFOX and found a few things: (1) The plugin apparently needs to be in
/usr/lib/mozilla-fire[bird|fox]/plugins, and not in your personal plugins
directory.  (I didn't actually confirm that because I'd already moved it
there and the other things got it working, and it's a matter of
indifference to me which directory it's in).  (2) You need the plugin
compatible with your build of fire[bird|fox].  Do 'about:buildconfig' in
the Location bar, and you'll probably find it's built with gcc 3.2+.  If
that's so, you need the 'ns610-gcc32' plugin.  (3)  I read (and did it
this way, so don't know if it's actually necessary) that the plugin will
only work if symlinked to the plugins directory, rather than copied.  (4)
(_This_ was my problem!)  The Java plugin won't work if you have a spoofed
user agent when you start up.  So, if you need to spoof your UA, do it
_after_ you've got fire[bird|fox] running, and reset it to the default
before you shut it down.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*