Re: Compiling kernel

Incoming from Michael Satterwhite:
> I've been looking at the documentation for compiling the kernel, and something
> seems missing to me.
>
> There is ample documentation on configuring the kernel, but I don't see the
> issue of the starting point addressed anywhere. It seems to be assumed that
> if you're going to compile the kernel, then you want to individually visit
> every configuration parameter and make a selection. There is good
> documentation everywhere on how to do this.
>
>  If you have a working kernel, however, it seems far more logical to use its
> configuration as a starting point and make the changes relative to that. In

That's what make oldconfig is for.  cp the stock config from /boot,
and continue from there.  You should be prompted for new changes but
anything in the old kernel will be selected by default.

  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bdebian+make+oldconfig&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=87adpp99h9.fsf%40glaurung.green-gryphon.com&rnum=1

- -