Re: how does one page down in gv?

Dan Jacobson wrote:
that has been posted to comp.lang.postscript as well.

In gv, how does one page down?

Space bar is great, until we dare to choose magnification that put the
edges of the document beyond the window. Upon reaching the bottom of a page
we are then sent to the upper right corner of the same page---we can't
keep the document centered horizontally. No I do not wish to review
the white margins that I missed due to magnifying them out of the window.

PgDown is great, except that it goes from the bottom of one page to
the bottom of the next.

Or did the developers never use 600x800 resolution?

So I must use
DownArrow DownArrow PgDown UpArrow UpArrow
DownArrow DownArrow PgDown UpArrow UpArrow...
My reading is done on the DownArrow portion.
I would like to just hit e.g. space bar to go thru the whole document.

You need to modify the X resources keybindings for gv. On my Debian system with gv package version 1:3.5.8-31, the system-wide resource file for gv that includes keybindings is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/gv/gv_class.ad.

Make a copy of this file in your home directory.
Find the line:
 ~c ~s<Key>space: GV_Page(down,right-top,!page+1,top-leftedge)\n\

Replace it with:
 ~c ~s<Key>space: GV_Page(down,!page+1,top)\n\

Pass gv the -ad option to specify the location of your modified resource file. See "man gv".

This should do it.

dircha