slrn drawing characters problem in Konsole

Dear People,

I'm running sarge. I recently noticed (I don't reboot my machine very
often and only discover breakage when I reboot) that the red threading
in slrn was now replaced by red blocks. I'm not sure what the problem
is, but it seems likely the problem was with Konsole and/or X 4.3,
since X 4.3 had just arrived in testing. Or maybe that was just a
coincidence.

The problem seems to be visible in most fonts, and is certainly
present in my usual font, which is the "unicode" option.

So, can anyone using slrn reproduce this problem, and more
importantly, suggest a fix? I'd be inclined to report this as a
Konsole bug unless I hear something to the contrary.

Thanks in advance.

                                                         Faheem.