Soundblaster 16 pnp

I finally got alsa installed and the sound card  configured. isapnp recognizes the card. It fails in insmod because the 8 bit DMA buffer size is wrong. Does anyone know what the correct setting for the 8 bit DMA buffer size? I read somewhere that there are issues with these cards with 8 bit DMA, can I turn the 8 bit DMA off by not giving an answer to the 8 bit DMA channel and not giving an answer to the 8 bit DMA buffer size?
Christopher J. Noyes