Re: No GUI after Woody install (was: Unidentified subject)

Matic Ivanovski wrote:

> I downloaded the latest stable version of debia 3.o-r2 and installed it on
> my i386 architecture.

> But when boot it from the disk it starts as a console. I wonder how to get
> in the windows like invironment.

Try logging in at the console and running "startx". If the GUI environment
is installed, this will start it up.

If that doesn't work, then you didn't install the GUI. To install a minimal
GUI, log in as root and run:

apt-get install x-window-system

You may also want to install the KDE or Gnome desktops (or both). The
commands for those are:

apt-get install kde
apt-get install gnome

Adam