Re: ppp problems

Hello

Phil (<phillinux@brainlink.com>) wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a home server (as practice) and having trouble
> with finding module for a dell e100 imbedded NIC.  It seems that one
> exists on the debian site but the NIC doesn't work so I can't logon.

Searching at <http://groups.google.com> with the model name or parts of
the output of lspci probably can tell you which driver you need. You
can load it using modprobe, bit maybe the kernel you used for
installation does not have the module. Or maybe it is built into the
kernel. Check the output of dmesg. If you are successful in loading the
driver, configure /etc/network/interfaces (or install etherconf).

> Sooooo,
>
> I dug out a serial modem and plugged it in and got it to log into my
> ISP .
> . .  I think ???
>
> It does the hand shaking thing, lights go on, The RI and RD lights
> flicker regulary every 20 seconds (approx) but when I enter an address
> into Mozilla there is clearly no reaction.  The modem is maintaining a
> connection to the ISP, and I can clearly logon through windows on
> another machine. Is this HW, software or configuration.  I'm using
> pppconfig (as I have done before on other machines).  Where do I go
> from here?

In many cases people use wrong DNS settings. You probably need dynamic
DNS (means your ISP sends your computer the IP addresses of the name
servers when you dial in). You can change the setting with pppconfig.
To check if this is the problem, try to ping an IP address instead of a
host name (try 192.25.206.10 for debian.org).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976