Re: Balsa/mutt/POP3/postfix under GNOME on Debian/Sarge

Incoming from debian3@tpg.com.au:

> First of all is this the correct place to ask for help with Debian?

It certainly is.  Welcome.

> I am trying to setup email on a workstation via modem to an ISP
>
> I have not seen anything about something so simple as basic email setup
> on reading thru debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
>
> Have I picked the correct packages to get email working?

Very good.  Balsa and mutt are two of the same thing, but I imagine
they can work together (one at a time).

> I think I need the following
>
> MUA (Mail User Agent)
>         balsa - GNOME mail access
>         mutt - Command Line mail access

See /etc/Muttrc.  Copy it to your home directory as ~/.muttrc, then
open it up in an editor and change whatever's obvious.  Balsa should
be even easier.

> MDA (Mail Delivery Agent)
>         ipopd - POP3 from mail-server to workstation

I use fetchmail, but it's your choice.

> MTA (Mail Transfer Agent)
>         postfix - SMTP local mail transfer on workstation

I use exim.  Again, your choice.

> the ISP uses a POP3 mail-server: mail.tpg.com.au
>
> where the ISP email address: debian3@tpg.com.au
>
> my workstation email address: debian@gin.mixer.net
>
> I can not send or receive email onto my workstation!

That will be in the configuration of ipopd (receiving), and postfix
(sending and receiving).

> What configuration files do I have to look at to complete the setup?

You may be able to get away with "dpkg-reconfigure postfix" or
something.  Check the debian-user archives at lists.debian.org.  With
exim, I just ran "eximconfig".  Same with fetchmail - fetchmailconfig.

> ps ISP offers a email web browser service via www.postoffice.tpg.com.au

Good.  That's useful for blowing away spam on the server before
popping real mail to your box.

- -