Re: 2.6 kernel being less responsive than 2.4

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:40:14 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:

> Hello
>
> Caoilte O'Connor (<me@caoilte.org>) wrote:

>> [Snip solution - enabling DMA]
>
> For the archive: I had similar problems. In some situations (opening new
> programs, switching windows), xmms skipped, and in my case changing the
> nice value of XFree to 0 (using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common) solved
> the problem. See also the post-halloween document:
>
> <http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt>
> (section "Process scheduler improvements")

How does running the X-server with a *higher* priority (-10 nice
value as opposed to 0) cause problems like the mouse skipping? I would
think that if the X-server had higher priority, it would be able to
respond to mouse events faster and move the cursor faster.