Re: Restoring old root partitions.

S.Squarepants wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:03:17 -0500
"Thomas G." <debian@staff.lan-zig.com> wrote:

Ok well I have 2 scsi drives in my machine. One of which has my old
root partition from when I messed up my boot sector. If I install sid
again on a fresh new partition on the second drive is there anyway to
pull the old info back over and make everything run like it used too.
All configuration files and everything (except the lilo files). I
really had everything working nice. Please help me Im getting
desperate.

Thanks
Thomas

Why not go in with a rescue disk of some sort, chroot to the original
setup, run lilo and reboot into your original setup?

If you've already tried that, kindly ignore me.

If you haven't, it's a good way to recover from such disasters. I've
used it a couple of times myself.

Well... I know my way around linux but i dont know a thing about chroot. im self tought and I have a serious reading problem so fill me in on how I do that?

thanks
Thomas