Re: Advice for setting up a file server

On (01/04/04 09:24), Michael Bellears wrote:
> > On (31/03/04 13:35), Stefan Goessling wrote:
>
> > > Which packages should I use?
> > samba & nfs for file and print services.  I use both but you
> > could use just samba and configure the linux clients accordingly.
>
> I was also in the process of setting up a file server to serve both
> Linux+Windows boxes - Is there any reasons one would not just run Samba?
> Just contemplating whether I should actualy use NFS...as another poster
> suggested it was "a total bandwidth whore"
There are two reasons I use NFS:

I found it easier to set up (it was my first attempt at setting up a
server)

We have MacOS8.6, OSX, Windows98, XP and Debian workstations and I
wanted to learn about the various options, pros, cons etc.

Bandwidth hasn't been a problem here but our network is pretty low
traffic.

>  The same poster also mentioned not to run NIS for user auth due to
> security issues - Alternatives being LDAP, Kerberos and maybe Radius?
> Would anyone care to share there experiences with these?
I tried NIS and got into trouble; Todd Pytel gave me a lot of advice
about the various ways of dealing with multiple systems, users etc.  He
suggested that LDAP/Kerberos is a robust solution for a corporate
network but that it requires a lot of work to get it working as you want
it.  There don't seem to be standard installations that one can work
from.  A recent eweek article posted on d-u seemed to agree:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1553247,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Regards

Clive

--