Re: 2.6 kernel being less responsive than 2.4

Hello

Caoilte O'Connor (<me@caoilte.org>) wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2004 02:36, Olle Eriksson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 09:25, Caoilte O'Connor wrote:

>>> I've been upgraded to the 2.6 kernel a little while
>>> now, but I must not have things configured properly
>>> because the performance I get is terrible.
>>>
>>> Whenever I'm doing something CPU intensive my mouse
>>> becomes unresponsive, my mp3 player skips constantly
>>> and the like. This didn't used to happen for me under
>>> 2.4 so I'm wondering if it's possible i've done
>>> something very wrong.
>>
>> I experienced the same thing when I switched from 2.4 to
>> 2.6 and it drove me crazy until I remembered what it
>> could be. It turned out DMA was not activated on the
>> disks. Could that be it in your case?
>>
>> See with "hdparm /dev/hdxx".
>
> OH! That was it. Thankyou. I've a VIA chipset and somehow
> the configuration option name had changed between 2.4 and
> 2.6. I'm compiling support in again now.
>
> Thanks very much, I can't believe I mindblanked that being
> it.

For the archive: I had similar problems. In some situations (opening new
programs, switching windows), xmms skipped, and in my case changing the
nice value of XFree to 0 (using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common) solved
the problem. See also the post-halloween document:

<http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt>
(section "Process scheduler improvements")

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976