Boxed deb perl and activestate perl 5.8

On my dual-boot (linux debian & win xp) box under linux I have installed
debian testing and the deb perl 5.6 packages boxed with the debian
distribution.

Now, using perl both under linux and win xp I've installed activestate perl
5.8 under M$ win and it looks great!

The same activestate site offer a debianized perl-5.8 package which is
installed under usr/local/bin.

In the opinion of more experienced users than I am is there any advantage for
me to install activestate perl instead of the standard deb packages?

Can both versions of perl coexist?

If I install activestate perl, could I eliminate the boxed debian perl
packages (to avoid duplication, of course) or they're essential for the
installation?

Ciao

Vittorio