Make Debian package from CVS sources of upstream program?

I work with the CVS version of Emacs every day.  Currently, I install
it into a specific subdir of my home dir, but I think it would be
useful to have it available as a Debian package so that I can take
advantage of the added convenience of having Debianized add-ons.

What's the right way to create a Debian package from the CVS sources
of Emacs and to regularly update it?

I guess I could create a subdirectory debian of my CVS working copy
and then invoke dpkg-buildpackage or whatever the program is called.

But I hear of apt-src which is supposed to make maintenance and
updating of source-based packages easier.  No idea whether it will
work.

Of course, it's okay to respond with rtfm, but please give some
details on which fn I'm supposed to read ;-)

kai
--
Why should I read the f---ing manual?  I know how to f---!