Re: Moving from unstable to testing

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 20.43, Jason Slaughter wrote:
> I have been running a debian unstable machine for a while but I'd like
> to move it to a "testing" machine (with a few unstable packages
> pinned). I know downgrades like this aren't really encouraged, but I
> don't want to downgrade so much as run the system I'm running now, and
> wait for my unstable packages to "catch up" to testing. After that I'd
> like the packages to upgrade from testing instead of unstable.

Set /etc/apt/preferences to prefer testing over unstable (I have priority
700 for testing, 600 for unstable).

> I notice that apt-show-versions shows that dpkg seems to "know" what
> flavour a given package was installed in. Is there any way (without
> horribly breaking things) to trick dpkg into thinking everything on my
> system was installed as "testing" instead of "unstable," and to have my
> apt-get upgrades ignore anything that's got a version "in the future"
> as far as "testing" is concerned?

No, AFAICT apt-show-version doesn't save this information. If the
installed version is in testing or older than testing, it will diplsay
testing. If the installed version is newer than testing, it will display
unstable. Look at the 'apt-cache policy <package>' output, I'm sure you
can figure out exactly how that algorithm works.

from unstable.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 17th day of Discord in the YOLD 3170