Borked update

After a small fling with Gnome, and trying to remove it, I'm having
trouble getting my system updated.  I've been flailing around a fair
bit, so a reinstall may be my only option at this point.  But perhaps
someone here could show me a way to avoid that.  I was running
unstable, and got this problem; downgrading to testing didn't make the
problem go away.

The problem seems to be with nautilus-media, debconf, or perl, or all
three - I'm not sure.  Here's what I see:

$ dpkg -C
The following packages are in a mess due to serious problems during
installation.  They must be reinstalled for them (and any packages
that depend on them) to function properly:
 nautilus-media       Multimedia goodies for Nautilus

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
 debconf              Debian configuration management system

# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up debconf (1.4.17) ...
Unquoted string "functions" may clash with future reserved word at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Noninteractive.pm line 1.
syntax error at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Noninteractive.pm line 1, near "}{"
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/AutoSelect.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/AutoSelect.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 6.
dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
 debconf

I get the same error messages about 'Unquoted string "functions" may
clash...'  when trying to upgrade or reinstall nautilus-media.  And
these errors seem to cause no package to be upgraded.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or is my system so hosed
at this point that a reinstall is in order (it would be a first)?

--
Martin Hillyer