Re: problems mounting MS-DOS floppy

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:47:12AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:31:51AM -0700, CW Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:04:50AM -0500, Lorenzo Prince wrote:
> > > I am trying to mount an MS-DOS floppy disk.  I get the following error message:
<SNIP> > >

> > Anyway, I think what you want is to put "vfat" or "msdos" into
> > /etc/filesystems, this will cause the mount to try these additional
> > types on a mount of an "auto" type. (man mount, search for
> > /etc/filesystems).  Note vfat is the windows format with long filename
> > support.
> > [snip]
>
> I'm curious about this advice. I'm running Sarge. I don't find a file /etc/filesystems
> on my computer. Is there a package that I failed to install? Which one?

>From "man mount":

       -t vfstype
       <snip>

              The type iso9660 is the default.  If no -t option is  given,  or
              if  the auto type is specified, the superblock is probed for the
              filesystem type (adfs, bfs, cramfs, ext, ext2, ext3, hfs,  hpfs,
              iso9660,  jfs,  minix,  ntfs,  qnx4,  reiserfs, romfs, udf, ufs,
              vxfs, xfs, xiafs are supported).  If  this  probe  fails,  mount
              will try to read the file /etc/filesystems, or, if that does not
	           ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
              exist, /proc/filesystems.  All of the  filesystem  types  listed
              there  will  be tried, except for those that are labeled "nodev"
              (e.g., devpts, proc and nfs).  If  /etc/filesystems  ends  in  a
              line  with  a  single  * only, mount will read /proc/filesystems
              afterwards.

You just create it if you want it.  It will cause the mount of "auto"
types to check these additional filesystem types for the mount command.

E.g.:
$cat /etc/filesystems
vfat
msdos

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.